My son has a lot of social interaction. You see, he is a YouTube content creator. With his tips, tricks, and fun personality, he has made quite a name for himself.
The other day, someone threatened his good name. A silly incident on a mini golf course, yes, you heard that correctly, caused a man to call Matt out in the nastiest way possible. The man posted poisonous comments on his page which got a few "likes" and then a few comments that hurt my heart. As a mother, we hurt for our children especially when we see them doing good in this world, when we know they weren't in the wrong.
Right away I wanted to jump on the comment bandwagon and tell this man how horrible of a person he is. I wanted to rally everyone I knew to go and do the same. However, Matt asked his friends and family to let it go. I knew he was hurting badly over this, yet he didn't want to lash out and cause more grief.
We spoke a little yesterday about this. And of course, I have been praying about it as well. Lately, when I have wanted to act out irrationally, I've stopped and prayed instead.
Last evening, my son wrote the most powerful post I have ever seen from him. Not one to share his emotions easily, this made a mother's heart full.
I am more proud of him than ever. Thank you to everyone who supports and follows my son. Our online family is "Goober Strong." You all rock.
Here is what Matt wrote:
"We're living in a world where everyone feels the need to "call someone out" by blasting them on social media and it's only going to get worse. A worker having a bad day "ooooh gotta film them and blast them on TikTok to get em fired" - a celebrity having a crash out moment? gotta "CALL EM OUT! EXPOSE EM ON FACEBOOK!".

I belong to a community where the most terrible things are said by outsiders to the point where people have lost jobs (like me) over it and being outed, threatened, etc. What is sad is that those doing this are mostly ignorant, pot-stirrers, who need a reaction. Matt seems such a fun, caring guy. I can't imagine someone doing something this mean, but yeah, in many ways he's right. People who do this are just mean people, and sadly, don't have much else in their lives.
ReplyDelete