Friday, May 27, 2022

The World of a Child







 Have you spent an afternoon lately with small children, perhaps your grandkids or nieces and nephews? Don't you come away from that time exhausted, yet feeling younger and remembering what it was like to pretend, to wish, to dream, to believe in the unbelievable?

One day, when she was younger, my niece Elena wanted an inexpensive pair of fairy wings in a dollar store. On the ride back home she said, "Auntie Kar, there's a little glitter on your seat." When we got out, not only did she have glitter on her face and hair, but the back seat of my car sparkled and glittered as well. And my heart sparkled too.

I, too, remember what it was like when I was young being a glitter princess; loving all things sparkly and pretty. For I was a girly girl type; a child who loved make believe, pretend, and lands faraway. My mom used to call me a pack rat stating that she always found glittery items in my drawers and in my room. I hoarded these pieces as if they were magical. And they were.

Our beautiful, innocent children hold the key to simplicity and joy. After a few hours playing "school" with my other niece, Elizabeth, I felt smarter and ready for a college degree. It didn't matter that it had been years since I'd been to school. Elizabeth was a tough teacher and she didn't tolerate any misbehavior in her "class." So I sat as a model student and learned all that I could from her. What she didn't realize is that I was learning. The lesson was one of sweetness, simplicity, and patience. The lesson wasn't something I could glean from a book, and I could only get from truly being in the moment with her.


Our world is full of cynicism, intolerance, and anger. News media and social media blast so much anti-everything campaigns that I want to run away for a while. Isn't it refreshing that once a week or so, to run away with two little girls who hold my heart with their simple innocence? I can come away from that time a much "better me."


No comments:

Post a Comment